The History of Robinsons Cider
Some of the former Robinson hostelries in Tenbury have completely disappeared from sight and memory now but many are still offering hospitality or, like the Cage in Church Street, now a private home, are still just discernable. Among the ones that have gone are The Bay Horse, which used to be at 8 Teme Street; The Tanners Arms (31/31a Cross Street); and The Kings Arms which used to be in Teme Street, probably somewhere near the old Corn Exchange which itself was built in “Robinson’s Yard” in 1843.
The High Bailiff’s son, another Robert (seen above in top hat) ran the Rose and Crown after him. In the course of the 20th century the Robinsons also held the Peacock, the Royal Oak and the Cage, which used to be in Church Street, by the Round Market in Tenbury. The Cage is a private residence now but there is still a bird cage hanging on the wall above the pavement and a pane of etched glass, saying “Smoke Room” to bear witness. In the 1930’s the family acquired the assets of the Tenbury Aerated Water Company and started to produce soft drinks.
In the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s farm mechanization increased and the practice of including a daily ration of cider as part of the farm workers’ wages fell away, as indeed did the number of farm workers. For most farmers, cider apple growing became little more than a fringe activity but they could still sell their cider fruit to the Robinsons and the proceeds would often be sufficient to pay the rent for the whole farm for a year.
Robinsons Cider Works in 1955
After the Second World War, Barrington and his brother Robert (“Bob” Robinson) joined their father Rupert and uncle Charles in the business. In the 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s Barrington and his son Robert (who joined in 1977 and is shown last in the family photos sequence) significantly developed their interests in the soft drinks (Wells Soft Drinks), packaging and mineral water bottling industries. By the time the business was sold in 1998 it was one of the largest and most dynamic in its market.
Cider Press In 2018
In 2005, that irrepressible cider-making gene emerged once more. Robert Robinson decided to refurbish the 70 year old press the family held on to in 1959 and press apples to make cider for public consumption again after an absence from the market of almost 50 years.
Robinsons Fine Dry Cider, made on that original press from the Rose and Crown premises was test marketed in Tenbury. Much of the fruit came from the same orchards that furnished apples for Robinsons classic ciders in the 1940’s and 1950’s. It was a very pleasant surprise to discover that despite a 50 year absence from the market, the Robinsons Tenbury Cider brand was still so strong and so positively held in local memory.